Mana Blades, also known as Mana Reavers are a martial class that specializes in using mana to enhance their attacks and to hunt down rogue dungeon capturers and dangerous magi.
Alignment: Any Neutral
Hit Die: d8
- 1 Class Skills
- 2 Class Features
- 3 Sword Spells
The Mana Blade's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Acrobatics (Dex), Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (Planes) (Int), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special||Spells per Day|
|12th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+8||bonus feat, sword spell||5||5||4||3||—||—|
bonus feat, potentia
Weapons and Armor Proficiency
A mana blade is proficient with all simple weapons martial weapons. Mana blades are also proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields.) A mana blade can cast arcane spells while wearing light armor and can use a shield without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. Like any other arcane spellcaster, a mana blade wearing medium or heavy armor incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component.
Starting at 2nd level a mana blade gains an understanding of the mana in their own bodies as well as the mana in others, at second level, their mana pools gain a +3 bonus and each level after second level it is increased by +1. This ability also allows them to determine how much mana a creature has by using a detect mana ability as a free action. Similar to detect magic, this allows them to see mana auras within a 60 foot cone. This also gives them a Perception bonus to notice hidden or invisible creatures with mana equal to 1/2 of their mana blade level. At 9th level, as a standard action, they may regain an amount of mana once per day equal to their Charisma modifier by drawing on the mana in their environment.
A mana blade casts spells drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a mana blade must have a Charisma Score equal to at least 10 + the level of the spell he wishes to learn or cast. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a mana blade's spell is 10 + the spell level + the mana blade's Charisma Modifier.
Like other spellcasters, the mana blade can only cast a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Progression. In addition he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma modifier.
The mana blade's selection of spells is extremely limited. A mana blade begins play knowing two 1st level spells of the mana blade's choice. At each new mana blade level, he gains one or more new spells as indicated on Table: Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a mana blade knows is not affected by his Charisma Score. the number on Table: Spells Known are fixed.
Upon reaching 5th level, and at every third mana blade level after than (8th, 11th, and so on), a mana blade can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the mana blade "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least one level lower than the highest-level spell the mana blade can cast. A mana blade may swap only a single spell at any given level and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.
A mana blade need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spells he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his allotment of spells per day for the spell's level.
Starting at 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, the mana blade may select a sword spell from the list at the bottom of the page, some sword spells have certain requirements that the mana blade must meet to select. Sword spells are a standard action unless otherwise noted and consume the listed amount of mana to activate.
At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level, the mana blade gets a bonus feat. The bonus feat must be a combat feat, and the mana blade must meet all requirements for it.
Starting at 5th level, the mana blade may infuse their weapon with 1 point of mana as a free action to negate the attack damage of their next successful attack to instead inflict 1d6 points of damage to the target's mana pool. Creatures immune to Precision Damage are immune to this effect. At 10th level the damage to mana becomes 2d6, and at 20th level, the damage to mana becomes 3d6.
The mana blade must call this out whenever they decide to use it.
Starting at 10th level, the mana blade may infuse their weapon with 5 pooints of mana as a free action to double the critical threat range of their weapon for their next attack against a target opponent that they must name at the time the ability is used.
If the attack does not result in a critical hit, they double it again on the following attack and so forth until they successfully land a critical hit against the target. (I.E. a longsword's threat range is 2, with this ability it becomes 4, then 8 and so forth until they successfully critical hit the target opponent.)
Starting at 11th level, a mana blade can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the mana blade is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless mana blade does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Starting at 14th level, the mana blade may expend an amount of mana up to 1/2 of their mana blade level as a swift action to add that amount of damage to their next attack. This damage is multiplied on a critical hit.
At 19th level, the mana blade gains an aura of mana restoring energy that restores 1 point of mana per turn to the mana blade and all allies within 10 feet. This ability can be active for a number of rounds per day equal to 6 + the mana blade's Charisma modifier. These rounds need not be consecutive
At 20th level the mana blade's mana reaches its apex. The mana blade gains Damage Reduction against precision damage 20/-; Also they may restore their mana with mana mastery an additional time per day. Finally any light or one-handed bladed or piercing weapon they equip has its critical multiplier increased by 1.
All sword spells have personal or short range and are activated as a standard attack action. The mana blade must make a successful Attack roll or the spell fails. The Attack roll DC is equal to 10 + 4* the Mana cost of the sword spell, if the spell is area of effect or complex. Otherwise it is the AC of the target.
Sword spells with a DC have a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 of the Mana Blade's level + mana cost of the ability; and are subject to spell resistance. Creatures who do resist the effects take any physical weapon damage regardless if the attack was successful.
Minor Sword Spells
Can be learned at any level and cost 1 mana to activate.
- Edge Landslide (AoE) When cast, a 10-foot cone in front of the mana blade becomes rough terrain and inflicts weapon damage to any enemies caught within. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.
- Flash Strike (Single) When cast, the mana blade strikes a target with weapon damage + 1d4 electricity damage plus an additional 1d4 electricity damage per four mana blade levels.
- Geo Strata Sword (Single) When cast the mana blade strikes a target with weapon damage and reduces the AC of the target by -4 for 1 round plus 1 additional round per four mana blade levels
- Half-Moon (Complex) When cast, the next attack action the mana blade makes strikes the target normally, and deals minimum weapon damage to any targets adjacent to the mana blade except for the mana blade himself. This can be combined with alternate attack feats. (Power Attack, Vital Strike, etc)
- Iainuki (Single) When cast, the mana blade makes a single attack and his reach is increased by 5 feet plus 5 additional feet per four mana blade levels. This can be combined with alternate attack feats. (Power Attack, Vital Strike, etc)
Lesser Sword Spells
Can be learned at any level after 6th and cost 3 mana to activate.
- Cinder Scythe (AoE) When cast the mana blade attacks in a 15 foot cone for weapon damage + 1d4 fire damage per four mana blade levels. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.
- Holy Contemplation (Complex) When cast the mana blade gains a bonus to their next attack roll equal to their mana blade level. For the check made to successfull cast sword spells, this bonus persists for 1d4 additional rounds after the first.
- Flash Freeze (AoE) When cast, all creatures within 5 feet per four mana blade levels take 4d6 points of cold damage, and are staggered for 1 round unless they make a successful Fortitude save. This can be used as a swift action but the DC for the initial attack roll is increased by 4.
- Mana Flame Sword (Single) When cast the mana blade makes an attack roll against a target, if the attack is successful the target takes weapon damage + 1d6 points of fire damage, and has their Spell Resistance reduced by an amount equal to the mana blade's level for 1 round.
- Winter Arctic Blade (Single) When cast the mana blade makes an attack roll against a target, if the attack is successful the target takes weapon damage + 1d6 points of fire damage, and has a -4 penalty on any Will saves or Reflex saves they make for 1 round. A successful Fortitude save negates the penalty to saves.
Major Sword Spells
Can be learned at any level after 9th and cost 6 points of mana to activate.
- Edged Evocation (Single) When cast the mana blade makes an attack roll against a target, if the attack is successful he may cast a single touch or ranged touch spell he knows and has available as a swift action.
- Hyperion Razor (Single) When cast, the mana blade makes an attack roll against a target, if the attack is successful the target is slowed as per the slow spell for 1 round. Creatures immune to the slow spell are immune to this effect. There is no save for this ability.
- Quasar Strike (Single) When cast, the mana blade makes an attack roll against a target, if the attack is successful, the damage of their attack has its base weapon damage increased by 1 size category for every 5 points that the mana blade's attack roll exceeds the AC of the target.
- Terra Crush Strike (Single) When cast, the mana blade makes an attack roll against a target, if the attack is successful the weapon's damage becomes crushing for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Additionally if the attack roll exceeds the CMD of the target, the target is knocked prone.
- Volt Razor (AoE) When cast, the mana blade's weapon sends an arc of electricity through an enemy inflicting 1d6 points of electricity damage per two mana blade levels. This bolt of lightning then jumps to additional targets inflicting 1d6 less damage on each consecutive target. A successful Reflex save halves this damage and prevents it from jumping to additional targets immediately after a target successfully saves.
Greater Sword Spells
Can be learned at any level after 12th and costs 10 mana to activate.
- Arctic Crashing Edge (AoE) When cast a frozen comet strikes a target square within short range of the mana blade. All creatures within 10 feet of the target square take 1d8 points of cold damage per mana blade level (Maximum of 15d8). A successful Reflex save halves this damage. 1/2 of this damage is arcane and not subject to cold resistance.
- Faultless Torrent (Single) When cast the mana blade makes a full attack against the target, and all attacks use the mana blade's full attack bonus. If any of these attacks miss, any of the attacks made after the missing attack automatically miss as well. This can be used after the mana blade makes a move action unlike a normal full attack.
- Finality Flash (Single) When cast the mana blade makes an attack against a single target. If the attack is successful the target must make a Fortitude save or become disabled (HP is brought to 1). Creatures with Hit Dice higher than the mana blade's level + 6 are unaffected by the secondary effect of this attack, but take weapon damage as normal. If the mana blade's attack result is a natural 1 the mana blade is disabled instead.
- Flaming Star Strike (Single) When cast the mana balde makes an attack against a single target. If the attack is successful the target takes weapon damage as well as an additional 1d6 points of fire damage per mana blade level. A successful Reflex save halves the additional fire damage, but weapon damage is unaffected.
- Rhapsody Sun (AoE) When cast successfully all non-allied creatures within 15 feet of the Mana Blade take 10d6 points of damage and must make a Will Save or be Blinded permanently. Creatures who succeed in the Will save are compelled to attack the mana blade for 1d6+1 rounds. This damage cannot be reduced in any way.